Friday, August 14, 2009

Worst Canned Phrases

I'm currently in the process of getting my first (fingers crossed) promotion at my current job. Through the process, I've been required to update my resume. I've also helped out a friend with revamping their resume. Though its been a few years since I've really seen a resume, there is always one key thing you look for: does this individual stand apart from the rest of the pile.

So to start, you need to avoid the typical canned phrases that job search websites love. The last thing you want to appear like to your future employer is a drone. At The Savvy Networker blog, they assembled a list of the worst canned phrases in resume building:
  • Results-oriented professional
  • Cross-functional teams
  • More than [x] years of progressively responsible experience
  • Superior (or excellent) communication skills
  • Strong work ethic
  • Met or exceeded expectations
  • Proven track record of success
  • Works well with all levels of staff
  • Team player
  • Bottom-line orientation

No comments:

Post a Comment